I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please click my Disclosure Policy to learn more
Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray SW 7029 is a soft warm gray paint color. It is an amazing neutral that works well with almost any other color in any space. It’s also a crowd-pleaser as it’s Sherwin William’s number one selling color.
IS AGREEABLE GRAY STILL POPULAR IN 2024?
Yes, it is still popular and going strong in 2024. I know gray is said to be falling off, but I’m not sure that is 100% true. Agreeable Gray is still on Sherwin Williams’s 50 best-selling paint colors list.
Its popularity is still high because I am constantly asked questions about it and whether it will work in my clients’ homes.
Honestly, I think Agreeable Gry has the right to continue to be popular in 2024.
It is a versatile neutral gray paint color- there is no denying that. And it is a very reliable, comfortable, safe gray to select- as long as you sample it first!
IS SHERWIN WILLIAMS AGREEABLE GRAY MORE GRAY OR BEIGE?
You would think this is a silly question, being that GRAY is in the name of the paint color. However, you’d be surprised at some of the paint colors’ names and how they don’t look anything like their names.
So yes, Agreeable Gray is, in fact, categorized as a gray paint color. But there is more to it than meets the eye.
If you were to look at a paint chip, you would most likely think it’s more on the beige side. But in reality, you cannot base the color on a small paint chip. I’m not sure if you are aware, but the chip is dyed to look like the paint color, so it’s not an accurate representation. Crazy right? This is why you are better off using a product like Samplize Peel & Stick paint samples to test paint colors.
That being said, depending on the lighting (light is crucial in how a paint color looks), Agreeable Gray can look more gray, more beige, or a mix in between.
I personally have seen it look all three ways. Agreeable Gray is such a popular paint color that I have suggested it to many of my clients.
In my experience, in rooms with north-facing light, Agreeable Gray looks more gray, with a hint of blue at times. I have also seen Agreeable Gray look more beige in a south-facing room with a good amount of natural light. Also, with warmer artificial lighting.
Stats on Agreeable Gray SW 7029
- R: 209 G: 203 B: 193
- Hex Value: #d1cbc1
- CIE-L*Ch(ab) = 82.534 5.537 91.128°
- Hue Family – Yellow
- LRV: 60
- Color Collections: Reasoned
For those who are unfamiliar with LRV or Light Reflectance Value, here is a quick recap. It is a measurement commonly used by design professionals that measures the amount of light reflected from a surface. LRVs range from 0-100, with 100 being pure white and 0 being absolute black.
To sum it up, higher numbers reflect more light and lower numbers do the opposite. At 60 it is a bit past the middle of the range. It will reflect a good amount of light.
Want to paint like a true professional?
What are Agreeable GrayS undertones?
“Agreeable Gray has slight green undertones.”
Ok, so undertones are actually subjective. As I mentioned before, lighting has a crucial amount of impact on how a paint color will look. So, in your north-facing room with less light, you may see Agreeable Gray with a blue “undertone,” But in my south-facing room with all-natural light, I may see a hint of a greenish “undertone.” And in darker rooms with low light, you may even get a peak of a purple “undertone.”
Then there are times that Agreeable Gray may not show any type or hidden color; it may look like the perfect neutral greige paint color.
Undertones and colors that can show up in Agreeable Gray will vary for everyone.
This is why I always suggest grabbing samples of paint colors. What I see in my home is not exactly what you will see in yours.
Is Agreeable Gray considered greige?
Yup, it certainly falls into that greige category. Agreeable is a gray that leans towards beige, hence the term greige. Now, not all greiges are the same. There are colors such as Accessible Beige, which is a beige that leans towards gray. Again, that all comes down to lighting, fixed elements, flooring, cabinetry, decor, and so on.
Don’t forget to pick up these amazing painting tools! They will only make your life easier!
Is SHERWIN WILLIAMS Agreeable Gray SW 7029 a warm or cool color?
It’s a warm gray/ greige paint color.
If you place it side by side with another paint color, depending on the color you are comparing it to, it can either look warmer or less warm than the opposing color.
The elements and lighting in the room can also affect whether it looks warm or cool. If you have cool-toned, north-facing light, Agreeable Gray may read cooler with a possible blue tone.
How Agreeable Gray will look is all relative to what’s going on around it, as is lighting, fixed elements, decor, etc.
WHY DOES SW Agreeable Gray look different in every room and in different Lighting?
We know that lighting is one of the main factors contributing to the appearance of a paint color- I can’t stop talking about it! But it can virtually change the appearance of any color in any room.
That’s a big deal when you are trying to choose the right paint color. So, your best bet is to get familiar with the lighting situation of the room for which you are finding a paint color.
This is why Agreeable Gray looks different in different rooms.
Let me shed some light (get it?) on the different room’s lighting situations. It will help you to understand better why Agreeable Gray looks different in every room.
- North-facing rooms – North-facing rooms tend to have cooler, even blueish light. Paint colors that are on the lighter side will appear a bit muted, whereas bolder dark colors will pop and embrace that cooler light. Agreeable Gray is sometimes seen to look a bit blue in north-facing light.
- South-facing rooms– In South-facing rooms, there tends to be a consistent warm light throughout the day. Warm and cool tones work with south-facing light. This light intensifies colors, so darker colors will seem brighter, while softer colors will almost look like they are glowing. South-facing light will show off SW Agreeable Gray’s warmer side.
- West-facing rooms- Light is cooler in the morning and warmer or brighter in the afternoon/ early evening. Early evening is when West-facing rooms have the best light. Warmer tones might seem overwhelming because of the red-orange the light gives off. However, if the main use for the room is in the mornings, the colors won’t appear as intense because of that cooler light. Agreeable Gray in a west-facing room will show off more of the warmth the color has in the afternoons.
- East-facing rooms– Light is warmer or brighter in the mornings and cooler in the afternoon/evenings. An East-facing room’s bright morning light is more yellow-orange toned. Going with a warm palette will help balance the lack of natural light in the evening. Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray will show cooler in the morning in an east-facing room.
The term “normal” lighting is used it refers to the light that enters through your windows, the view of the garden from that window, the direction the light comes from, the reflected colors in the furnishings, the type of lamp and bulb you use, and even the shade on the lamp.
All of these factors contribute to the lighting in a room, and it can change at different times of the day and vary depending on the room. The perception of paint color is influenced by its comparison with other colors, the wood tone of the flooring, and the color of your furniture and area rugs. This is what is considered “normal” and can affect the way a paint color will look.
WHAT’S THE BEST WAY TO SAMPLE?
Instead of physically going to your nearest paint store to grab your samples, you need to try Samplize Peel & Stick paint samples.
Why should you try Samplize?
- Super affordable
- Made with real manufacturer paint
- Displays color just like a wall
- Environmental friendly
These peel & stick paint samples are super affordable and allow you to test a paint color in all different areas of a room without the mess of a traditional paint sample!
You know how I feel about testing paint colors. It’s a must!
Don’t create more work for yourself. Order Samplize now and have them shipped directly to you. No fuss, no mess! Check them out for yourself. You won’t be disappointed.
Where can you use SW 7029 Agreeable?
Anywhere! Use Agreeable Gray throughout the house….
- Living Room
There are so many opportunities throughout the house to use this versatile gray paint color.
How does Agreeable Gray in the bathroom?
The bathroom walls are the perfect place to use SW Agreeable Gray. Because this gray is pretty dang neutral, it goes with almost any color. As you can see in the photo, it makes a beautiful backdrop for this bathroom’s black and white color scheme.
You can also use Agreeable SW7029 on your bathroom vanity. This soft greige will give the room a fresh and crisp feel.
Use Agreeable Gray in the kitchen
Another excellent place to use AG is in the kitchen. Again, this warm gray will provide a neutral backdrop allowing you to bring in color elsewhere.
Is Agreeable gray good for cabinets?
Yes! Use Agreeable Gray on either the kitchen cabinets or walls. This gorgeous, near-neutral paint color is an amazing kitchen cabinet paint color option. Consider using a black paint color with it, in the kitchen. It will create such a bold, beautiful contrast.
If you are considering painting your kitchen cabinets yourself, read this first!
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TOOLS BEFORE YOU START PAINTING! GET THE PAINT TOOLS THE PROS USE!
Is Agreeable Gray a good exterior paint color?
Agreeable Gray can be an amazing paint color option for the exterior of your home. It will, however, come off much lighter than it does indoors. This is because of the direct sunlight, it is getting. Paint colors always appear lighter in the sun.
You can expect to see Agreeable Gray look almost like a washed-out light gray. However, it is still a fantastic option for the exterior, especially if you want a light color that isn’t white.
LOOKING FOR MORE EXTERIOR PAINT COLORS? CHECK THESE OUT:
- Benjamin Moore Exterior Paint Colors
- Popular Sherwin Williams Exterior Colors
- Exterior Colors that go with Brick
- Awesome Front Door Colors
- Exterior Paint Color Combos
- Blue Exterior Paint Colors
Don’t forget to pick up these amazing painting tools! They will only make your life easier!
WHat are some Colors similar to Agreeable Gray?
Out of pure curiosity, I like to find some other gray paint colors that are similar to Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray. In this case, I have come across a few gray paint colors that are very comparable.
- Worldly Gray SW 7043
- Colonnade Gray SW 7641
- Gossamer Veil SW 9165
- Benjamin Moore Rodeo 1534
- Benjamin Moore Wish 680
- Benjamin Moore Collingwood OC-28
If you are interested in finding a Benjamin Moore paint color similar to SW 7029 Agreeable, look at BM Collingwood OC-28, BM Wish 680, or BM Rodeo 1534.
Are these gray paint colors exactly match? No, however, they are close, and they are all-around great gray paint color options.
WHAT IS The Benjamin Moore Equivalent to Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray?
I understand that there are times we don’t have access to certain brands because of location, the painter you are using, etc. For that reason, I like to give a paint color that is very similar to a different brand. So, for Agreeable Gray, I found two colors that are quite similar.
- Benjamin Moore Collingwood OC-28
- N320-2U TOASTY GRAY – Behr Color collection
If you are thinking about trying to color match between brands, I highly suggest not doing so. Every paint brand is different, so there is no guarantee that the paint color you are trying to match will be the same. If you do decide to go this route, please, please please, do yourself a favor and get a sample of the matched color beforehand.
KEEP TRACK OF YOUR PAINT COLORS
Are you looking for a way to keep track of all the paint colors in your home? Have you ever had to touch up some paint in your home and forgot what the paint color was? It’s like you are playing the guessing game, what color, paint, finish, and brand. It’s completely frustrating! I have the perfect solution to keep your paint colors all in one place. My simple paint color tracker can keep you and your paint colors organized!
Versatile neutral grays tend to work well with almost any other color: greens, blues, etc. But I want to give you a few specific paint colors that coordinate exceptionally well with Agreeable Gray. I mean, I like making your life easier. You are welcome!
- Dovetail SW 7018
- Seasalt SW 6204
- Alabaster SW 7008
- Riverway SW 6222
- Brainstorm Bronze SW 7033
- Basil SW 6194
- Snowbound SW 7004
- Pure White SW 7005
Agreeable Gray and Dovetail
It is a neutral gray. There aren’t any bold, overpowering undertones stealing the show. It’s just a great dark gray paint color. It coordinates perfectly as a dark accent color to Agreeable SW 7029.
Agreeable Gray vs Repose Gray
This color matchup is the battle of all battles. These are 2 of the most popular colors among my clients. On many occasions, the final decision comes down to these 2 gray paint colors.
Let’s see how the battle of Agreeable Gray vs. Repose Gray pans out.
- Agreeable has an LRV of 60, which is a hair lighter than Repose Gray at 58.
- AG has more warmth in it and also has brown/taupe undertones, leaning a bit more beige.
- Repose Gray is cooler-toned, leaning a bit grayer.
- When it comes to being a greige Agreeable, Gray takes this one.
- Unlike how Repose can show the purple/blue undertone it has, AG tends to stay docile, sticking to the griege that it is.
If you are interested, check out the Repose Gray full breakdown, I give you all the facts and tell you my thoughts on it. Spoiler, I LOVE Repose Gray.
Accessible Beige vs. Agreeable Gray
This is another pairing that often comes up with clients. Everyone always wants to see how Agreeable Gray vs. Accessible Beige SW 7036 compares.
- Accessible Beige is more warm-toned than AG.
- The LRV of Accessible Beige is 58, which is slightly lower than Aggreables’ 60.
- Accessible Beige is more of a beige color with gray undertones.
- Accessible Gray has a tiny bit of green in it, which will come out in certain lighting situations.
- Comparing these two colors side by side, you can see that Accessible Beige’s name is pretty accurate. The beige is really showing through.
Agreeable Gray vs. Revere Pewter
OK, Sherwin Agreeable Gray vs. Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter. 2 extremely popular neutral paint colors. How do they compare?
- Revere Pewter is a bit darker than AG
- Agreeable Gray has an LRV of 60, which is slightly higher than Revere at 55.51.
- Revere Pewter is slightly warmer, appearing to look a little more beige in comparison.
- In certain lighting, Revere Pewter can show hints of green in its undertone, whereas with AG, the sneaky undertone is slightly bluish-purple.
Piqued interest in Benjamin Moore’s Revere Pewter? Learn more about this popular paint color.
Agreeable Gray vs Edgecomb Gray
Now, let’s explore the difference between the very popular Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Gray and Agreeable Gray.
- Edgecomb Gray has an LRV of 63
- Edgecomb Gray is a greige that is beige with a little gray in it.
- Unlike AG, Edgecomb Gray doesn’t have any sneaky undertones that may sometimes turn up.
- Both colors are very versatile to use throughout your home.
- Edgecomb Gray is a warmer paint color of the two.
Agreeable Gray vs. Balboa Mist
- Benjamin Moore Balboa Mist is slightly warmer toned of the two colors.
- Agreeable has an LRV of 60, which is lower than Balboa Mist at 67.37
- AG is the darker of the colors
- Both colors are very versatile to use throughout your home.
- In certain lighting conditions, Agreeable Gray has the potential to flash green, and Balboa Mist can flash purple.
READ MORE: BM Balboa Mist Paint Color Review
Don’t start painting until you have the right tools!
SHOP MUST HAVE PAINTING TOOLS
- # 1 on Sherwin Williams List of top 50 Paint Colors.
- In the South-facing room, Agreeable Gray is at its best, showing off the warm, soft, greige color it truly is.
- AG is sitting pretty at an LRV of 6o.
- It’s considered to be a greige. Gray, leaning towards beige.
- It stays pretty neutral.
- AG is extremely versatile and can be used throughout the house in multiple applications.
- AG coordinates beautifully with many other colors, including SW Dovetail.
- Because of its versatility, AG can be used in all different decor styles, from modern to farmhouse. This griege works with them all.
What can I say, SW Agreeable is truly a fantastic gray paint color. But the real question here is, does this paint color live up to all the hype it gets, being referred to as “the BEST gray paint color”?
Simple answer? Yes, it does.
Agreeable is a near-perfect shade of gray with a pleasant undertone. This paint color works everywhere. It works in dimly lit as well as sun-filled rooms. It is, in fact, a crowd-pleaser.
Would I consider this the “Best” gray paint color? No, but only because of my love affair with Repose Gray. I’m sorry, I cannot get over it. I will say that, in terms of warm grays, Agreeable is the best. It’s definitely in my top 5 favorite grays.
Now that you have all the facts, what do you think? Is Agreeable Gray the BEST gray paint color? Is it as agreeable as its name says it is?
Want to learn more about other paint colors?
- Light French Gray- A new Favorite
- SW Mindful Gray
- Benjamin Moore Thunder- An Underrated Gray
- Awesome Grays from Sherwin Williams
- Amazing Benjamin Moore Grays
- Amazing Kitchen Cabinet Paint Colors
- The Best Blue Gray Paint Colors
- The Perfect Home Office Paint Colors
- The Perfect Trim Color?
- Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray
- Benjamin Moore Moonshine Review
- Silver Satin – Another BM Favorite
As I always suggest, before you commit to any paint color make sure you test your paint colors!
BUY SWATCH BRUSHES
Use a product like Samplize to easily test out how the paint color will look. I like Samplize because it is mess-free and you can move the peel-and-stick watch around to see how the color will look in different areas of the room. If you are unfamiliar with Samplize, check out my full review on it to learn more.
You can also paint swatches on what poster board. This will allow you to move the swatch around without painting it on the wall.
Use Samplize Peel & Stick Paint Samples for a mess-free way to test paint colors!
And of course, you can paint the swatches directly on the wall. Just be sure to paint them all around the room to see how the paint color will act in all lighting. And make the swatches large. Ok, not large, monster size.
Be prepared to swatch! Grab yourself some chippy brushes.
Don’t make these painting mistakes
Don’t forget to grab your FREE Interior Paint Checklist. It will save you time and keep your painting project organized!
SUBSCRIBE TO MY EMAIL LIST AND GET A FREE COPY OF MY INTERIOR PAINTING CHECKLIST
- Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace
- Paint Colors that go with Honey Oak
- Tricorn Black – SW
- Swiss Coffee BM Review
- SW Drift of Mist Paint Color Review
- Paint Colors for Dark Wood
- Spring-Inspired Paint Colors
As a seasoned paint color consultant and former proprietor of the highly regarded painting company WOW 1 Day Painting in Bergen County, my journey in the world of design and home improvement has been a colorful one, quite literally. Nestled in the scenic landscapes of Northern New Jersey, I’ve cultivated a passion for transforming spaces through the power of paint, furniture restoration, and thoughtful home decor.